Sunday, October 22, 2017

Spare Bedroom

The extra bedroom in my house was still looking tatty and tired, despite having the nasty old asthma-inducing carpet taken up and a good clean. With my son getting married next month (second marriage for both of them, so a good excuse for a big party?) and a few interstate and international visitors expected, thought I might be called upon to put people up, so now is the time to get the room spruced up.

The room was basically OK, but someone had had a half-hearted attempt to paint parts of it in a fairly horrible shade of pink - the built-in wardrobe was the "best" example. And it was coupled with large dark brown resin knobs. It was fairly awful!

The windows had been allowed to get very wet (inside) at some stage, so the paint was flaking and there was black mildew everywhere. I was told the previous owner had had the power cut off the winter before I bought the house, so I'm not surprised there had been damage caused by dampness. I've had two winters here now and the winter of 2016 was the wettest on record, but the house has remained completely dry, thank goodness. I keep the wood-heater going pretty much 24/7 during the winter, so the house stays dry and warm. It does show, however, how moisture intruding into the fabric of a house can soon start to cause real damage, But I digress! I stripped the windows back and painted them fresh white - what a difference! Same with the built-ins - basically in good condition, but just needed a couple of coats of fresh, white paint. I bought some sweet ceramic knobs from an Indian import shop (Ishka, for the locals) - enough for all the doors and drawers......but each one a bit different, except that they are all in shades of blue and green. Looks great!

The door was badly damaged - it looked as if it had been given a thorough kicking at some stage! I thought about replacing it with a new one, but in keeping with my "designer frugal" ethic, I decided to have a go at restoring it first. I took it off its hinges a was able to glue the panelling back to the frame. Once the glue had set, I filled the badly damaged areas where bits were missing. After sanding and painting, it looks like a new door! I probably saved about $100 on the cost of a new door, and while that doesn't sound like much, it all adds up.

I've spent a lot of time and effort removing tacks from the floor and sanding off the paint drips and splodges around the edges (not my doing!) I now need to fill the holes and seal the floor. A couple of rugs around the bed and some new cushions, some pictures on the walls and this room will be done! I'd like to stay in it, if I were visiting.
But silly me! Now I have to pack everything up and clear the room so that I can finish off the floor........but I was desperate to see how it was going to look.





                              ......and now with a few more Ishka touches - a rug and a throw.
 

                                   I love these ceramic knobs - I used thirteen different ones.\
 

5 comments:

  1. They won't want to leave! That wardrobe looks great, love those knobs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that room looks great. What a handy built in dresser and closet and the knobs are the perfect detail. I wish I was reserving the McMahon B&B! Have a lovely wedding party and best wishes to all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Cathran, Connie! I bought the "doings" to finish the floor yesterday, so I'll probably make a start on it at the weekend. Lots of little holes to fill. I'd love to get some new curtains, but that will have to wait a while. These are perfectly serviceable and will do for now. :-) It's a nice room - gets late afternoon sun and some great sunsets through that high window.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a wonderful sized wardrobe too. So glad it was able to be saved. You'll be thoroughly tickled with yourself and you should be so proud. I've loved all the "Silk Purse Sow Ear" stories, just beaut.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tanya........you know you are my inspiration, right?

    ReplyDelete